ComEd Bike Path Bridge Replacement Project
Latest Construction Updates
Since March of this year, ComEd has been working to replace their pedestrian bridge over Deerpath Road that runs parallel to Route 41.
ComEd’s bridge contractor notified the City that Deerpath Road only needs to be closed for one weekend (instead of two) in order for ComEd to install the new bike path bridge. City staff have been working with ComEd's contractor to limit impacts and we are happy to announce this change to their schedule.
Full Deerpath Road Closure: Planned for Friday, Nov. 18 at 7 pm through Monday, Nov. 21 at 5 am
Deerpath Road will be completely closed between Ahwahnee Lane and Route 41 for the new bridge deck to be lifted and placed on the support walls. Deerpath Road will remain open to local traffic from Green Bay Road to Ahwahnee Lane. Drivers are encouraged to use Green Bay Road south to Westleigh Road to access both Route 41 and Waukegan Road.
The pedestrian bridge on Deerpath Road that runs parallel to Route 41 is owned by ComEd and will be replaced to increase its capacity to support maintenance vehicles and equipment.
While this is a ComEd project, City staff has met numerous times with ComEd over the past year to review tentative project construction schedules and encourage ways to limit impacts to residents. ComEd is paying the total cost for the replacement of the bridge.
Construction resumes this fall with heavy construction activity expected to be completed by mid-December 2022.
The project area is on Deerpath Road just east of Route 41 and west of Ahwahnee Lane.
Even though this is a ComEd project, the City will communicate early and often about the expected impacts during construction. During construction, you can expect:
- In order for ComEd to install the new bridge, Deerpath Road will be completely closed between Ahwahnee Lane and Route 41 starting on Friday, Nov. 18 at 7 pm through Monday, Nov. 21 at 5 am. Deerpath must be closed for the new bridge deck to be lifted and placed on the support walls.
- Pedestrian and bicycle traffic on the Skokie Valley Bike Path will be rerouted from the path to Laurel Avenue or Westleigh Road. The new bridge and Skokie Valley Bike Path are expected to re-open by late December 2022. View the Bike Path Detour Map.
- Expect intermittent lane closures with a flagger directing traffic while ComEd works on the two bridge abutments. To limit traffic impacts, the contractor has been instructed to avoid lane closures on weekdays during peak commute hours (i.e., 7-8 am, 3-4 pm).
- The north and south sidewalks in the area will be closed while the contractor is working on the two bridge abutments.
- Intermittent lane closures to complete final project construction.
Our goal is to limit surprises and ensure neighbors are aware of construction activities. Prior to construction there will be mailed notification, signage in the project area, email communications, and additional outreach efforts. To receive email or text/SMS alerts on the status of this project, register your contact information at cityoflakeforest.com/enotify.
Engineering Assistant Bernard Pondexter, 847.810.3556, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for electronic notifications
To receive email or text/SMS alerts on the status of this project, register your contact information at cityoflakeforest.com/enotify.