Volunteer: It Takes a Community
Are you looking for a meaningful opportunity to give back to the community? Volunteering at Dickinson Hall is a great way to use your talents to enhance the lives of seniors in the Lake Forest/Lake Bluff area. Dickinson Hall offers a number of ways to get involved. From helping with parties or sharing a talent, to driving individuals to appointments, we believe that tapping into an individual’s skills and knowledge creates a more meaningful experience for both the volunteer and the community. Contact us for more information.
Volunteer help is typically needed on weekdays during daytime hours. If you would like information on any of these opportunities, please call 847-234-2209. Ongoing volunteer needs include:
· Office Support - If you enjoy interacting with people by phone and in person, this is a good opportunity to gain or enhance your office skills. Answering telephones, greeting visitors, making photocopies, preparing mailings and filing paperwork are among the office tasks that volunteers handle. Individuals with computer skills who are familiar with Microsoft Word or Excel are also needed.
· Presentations & Performances - If you are a skilled theatrical or musical performer and are looking for an appreciative audience, entertaining groups of seniors may be the volunteer opportunity for you. If you’d prefer to make a presentation to seniors on a topic of interest, Dickinson Hall will welcome your contribution of time and talent.
· Class Instructor – Do you have a skill in an area that may be of interest to seniors and looking for a place to show that skill? We are always looking for volunteers to give classes or instructions in areas such as technology, genealogy, photography, bridge instruction, crafting, dance, fitness, and many more.
· Special Projects – Help in different areas as needed.
· Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) Volunteer – Educate consumers and answer questions about Medicare, Medicare Supplements, and health insurance matters relevant to adults once they turn 65. Assist Medicare beneficiaries in selecting new drug plans during annual enrollment. SHIP volunteers must be certified after completing a one-week training through the Illinois Department of Aging.
· Event Volunteer – Assist staff at special events, such as parties, dinners, open houses, etc.
· Volunteer Driver – Escprt an older adult to and from important appointments; assist them in running errands.
· Senior Resources Commissioner – Volunteer on the Senior Resources Commission (SRC) to assist by advocating for educational, social and cultural opportunities and supportive services including transportation for the senior population of our communities.
For information regarding any of these opportunities please call 847-234-2209. Or download the Volunteer Packet and Volunteer Application forms and bring or send them to Dickinson Hall.