Deerpath Community Park Improvement Project
The Deerpath Community Park Improvement Project involves installation of synthetic turf athletic fields and additional amenities for the community park, including two restroom buildings with shaded open-air pavilions, renovated tennis/pickleball courts, a playground, fitness stations, and natural area enhancements.
This project is the culmination of a years-long planning effort that began with City Council approval of a Parks and Recreation Master Plan in 2019 that identified synthetic turf playing fields as a top recreational priority for the community. Beginning in the fall of 2021, the City undertook a robust community engagement process that resulted in the Park Board recommendation to pursue synthetic turf fields. In May 2022, the City Council formally approved engineering design funding for synthetic turf fields at Deerpath Park. Between May 2022 and January 2023, City staff worked with a professional consultant team and engaged a City Manger’s Advisory Group to provide recommendations for achieving the best possible design for the project. Learn more about the project background and history on the Athletic Field Improvements at Deerpath Community Park webpage.
Construction is expected to last approximately 6-7 months (weather permitting).
During construction, you can expect:
- A majority of construction activities will be confined to the project site, which includes Deerpath Community Park fields and tennis courts.
- Access will remain open at all times to the Recreation Center, Public Safety Building, and Deer Path Middle School.
- Deerpath Community Park will be closed for the duration of the project. The park, including the tennis courts, will close starting Monday, March 27 through mid-October (weather permitting). Please take the opportunity to visit some of the City’s other parks!
- Increased truck traffic along Deerpath Road and south of Deerpath on Golf Lane during portions of the project when trucks will be delivering and hauling away materials.
- To limit impacts to Deerpath Middle School families, students, and staff, the most impactful parts of the project are planned for the summer months when school is not in session. When school is in session, the contractor will work to limit impacts during pick up and drop off times.
- General construction impacts, including increased noise from construction equipment, dust, etc.
- Working hours are planned for Monday-Friday from 7 am - 3:30 pm and Saturdays from 8 am-4:30 pm. However, work is authorized weekdays from 7 am-7 pm and weekends from 8 am-6 pm, if needed.
Construction Area Map
Live Construction Camera
Once construction begins, watch the construction cam livestream!
Envisioning the Project
What will Deerpath Community Park look like when the project is complete? View new amenities on the Concept Plan below or stop by the Recreation Center (400 Hastings Rd) to view the project display.
Regular updates will be posted here and construction flyers will be posted on signs in the project area with information about the current project phase.
Superintendent of Parks and Forestry Chuck Myers, firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 810-3565
Assistant to the Public Works Director Jim Lockefeer, email@example.com or (847) 810-3542
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
During construction, Deerpath Community Park will be completely closed. Practices and games typically played at Deerpath Park will moved to other community and neighborhood parks in Lake Forest. While there will be a temporary inconvenience to be moved to other location during construction, this is an opportunity to visit some of the City’s other parks while these improvements are underway!
If you’d like to see what the project will look like and walk on the surface, visit the project display at the Recreation Center (400 Hastings Road).
Lake Forest plans to host the Lake Forest Festival and Fireworks on July 4, 2023. The City is contemplating several new locations for the event given construction activity planned at Deerpath Park. No decision has been made on a location yet. Once a decision is made this spring, it will be announced.
The improvements to Deerpath Community Park are for Lake Forest residents! The park features numerous elements that benefit the whole community including a walking path, playground, tennis and pickleball courts, fitness stations, and nature path and boardwalk.
Once the project is complete, there will be minimal traffic impacts to Deerpath Road. As part of the design process, a traffic study was completed for which existing traffic conditions and site parking were evaluated. The study concluded that no adverse traffic and parking impacts related to the project are anticipated after the project construction is completed.