Compost & Recycling Center
The Compost & Recycling Center is located at 1381 W. Kennedy Road, Lake Forest, IL. A current Lake Forest vehicle sticker must be displayed on the vehicle in order to access the site. Only one trip is allowed per day.
Rules & Regulations
Closed on Observed Holidays:
New Years Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
- The Compost & Recycling Center Guidelines can be viewed here.
- No commercial contractor use of this facility is allowed.
- Residents using the site must display a current Lake Forest vehicle sticker on their vehicle windshield. Driver's licenses will not be accepted as proof of residency.
- Vehicles are to be operated in a safe and responsible manner while on City property.
- All materials will be deposited in the appropriate designated areas.
- All Lake Forest City employees, including the Lake Forest Police, are authorized to call a user's attention to the Rules and Regulations of the facility and request compliance.
- Scavenging in the drop-off bins is prohibited. All materials deposited at the site become the property of The City of Lake Forest.
Textile and Shoe Recycling ProgramBy partnering with the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO), the City of Lake Forest has begun a Textile and Shoe Recycling Program. Please reference swalco.org/189/Acceptable-Unacceptable-Items for a list of acceptable and unacceptable items. Also, please note that pairs of shoes should be attached to each other with shoe laces or rubber bands.
Battery Recycling Program
By partnering with the Call2Recycle, the City of Lake Forest has begun a new Battery Recycling Program. Lake Forest residents can now safely and responsibly recycle:
- Primary cell single-use batteries (alkaline, button, lithium primary)
- Rechargeable batteries (lithium ion, nickel zinc, small-sealed lead acid, etc.)
Residents are asked to please properly bag, or tape accepted batteries before dropping them off at the newly designated area. For more detailed information regarding what batteries are accepted, and proper disposal instructions, please briefly review the battery recycling presentation guide that provides an overview with pictures and step-by-step instructions. Additionally, the on site Attendant at the Center can help answer any questions regarding battery recycling.Electronic Recycling ProgramLake Forest residents can efficiently recycle their electronics including: computers, printers, DVDs, VCRs, and televisions.
"Junk Bins" & Recycling Items
- Residents are allowed one trip per day (no more than 2 cubic yards per day) unless prior approval from the Public Works Department has been obtained.
- Vehicles larger than a standard pick-up truck or possessing a payload greater than two cubic yards are prohibited (two cubic yards = regular pickup truck bed load; two cubic yards = 3' x 3' x 6').
- No garbage or other organic waste.
- A complete list of Acceptable Items for "Junk" Bins can be viewed here.
- All brush, leaves and grass must be placed into the designated yard waste area.
- Brush material must be clean and free of foreign materials (i.e., metal, concrete, stones, plastics, etc.).
- The discarding of plastic bags and plastic planting trays is prohibited in the yard waste area.
- Tree trunks, branches, or stumps larger than 6" in diameter are prohibited.
- Removal of processed compost material is limited to four 32-gallon containers (or the equivalent) per day.
Hazardous WasteHazard Waste including oil based paint and appliances that contain CFC's are not allowed at the Compost Center. Residents can arrange to have appliances that contain CFC's collected on a regular garbage day for a $90 disposal fee. Residents can also contact the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) at swalco.org to arrange for disposal of hazard items.
Compost At Home
If you are interested in composting at home, the City of Lake Forest offers Earth Machines to residents to purchase at a discounted rate of $55 (compared to $100+ retail). To place your order, call (847) 810-3543 and the City will deliver it to your home and send you an invoice. You can view a flyer containing more information on Earth Machines here.