The Sweeper Program is in operation from April through Thanksgiving (weather permitting.) During the Fall, residents and/or landscape contractors, please bag your leaves and do not deposit them into the street. For proper storm water drainage to occur, inlets must be kept clear of leaves and/or debris.
Snow Operations are overseen by Snow Command and consist of employees of the Public Works Department as well as Parks, Forestry, and Cemetery Sections. Snow removal and ice control operations are prioritized as follows:
- All City streets and Illinois Route 43 from Illinois Route 176 to Illinois Route 22 and Route 60 from Illinois Route 41 to Field Drive
- Municipal Services parking lot and sidewalks, City parking lots, and railroad station platforms
- Power broom sidewalks along the bike patch adjacent to McKinley Road from Illinois to Westminster, sidewalks along all main roads, and sidewalks within ¼ mile of schools.
- Plow all remaining sidewalks
- CBD intersections and bridge decks
- Compost Center and recycling ramp
- West Park Ice Pond
- The hauling out of the Central Business District (CBD), snow from the multiple City-owned parking lots, and if necessary, the multiple cul-de-sacs.
Snow Program Mailbox Replacement Policy
If it is determined that a City snowplow caused damage to a properly placed and secure mailbox, and it is called into the Public Works Department at 847.810.3543 within 48 hours of damage, the City’s Streets Section will repair the damage. If damages are too significant for repair, the post will be replaced with a standard 4x4 treated pole and the box will be replaced with a standard issue black box. If residents would like to proceed in making the repair themselves, the City’s policy also allows reimbursement up to $50 toward the purchase and installation of a replacement mailbox if a receipt is submitted. A properly secured and placed mailbox should follow USPS mailbox installation standards.
Central Business District litter containers are emptied Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Train stations: Union Pacific and Canadian Pacific platforms and litter containers are cleaned and emptied twice weekly. Main arterials are collected on an "as needed" basis.
The Streets Section performs general maintenance repairs. To report a pothole, please call 847-810-3543. State Routes 41, 43, 60, and 176 are the responsibility of Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). For issues relating to safety and/or maintenance, please call 800-452-4368.
The Streets Section provides coordination and supervision of contractual services for the installation, repair, maintenance, and Opticom systems of nine City-owned traffic control intersections.
The Streets Section is responsible for fabrication, installation, maintenance and repair of 4,000 City street and regulatory signs.
The Streets Section is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all City lights (450 gas lights and 1,500 electric street lights). Electric lighting mounted to most wooden telephone poles are the responsibility of ComEd. Please call ComEd at 1-800-Edison1.