Winter Storm Warning in Effect Dec. 22-24
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning starting Thursday, December 22 at 12 pm and ending Saturday, December 24 at 6 am.
Strong winds are expected with 3-7 inches of snow accumulation. Extremely cold temperatures are expected Thursday afternoon through Sunday.
The City’s Snow Command is monitoring the situation closely and will dispatch crews to respond throughout this weather event. Please be mindful of changing weather conditions and avoid driving, if possible.
Winter Weather Safety
Follow these tips to keep yourself and your family safe:
- Do not lower your heat at night, keep faucets dripping, and open cabinets to prevent frozen pipes.
- Never use your oven for heat (this is a carbon monoxide hazard).
- Make sure all portable heaters are unplugged when not in use.
- If you travel outside, have extra layers and make sure to cover all exposed skin. Have an emergency kit whether you are at home or on the road.
Find more tips at Ready.gov.
How Does the City Prioritize Snow Removal?
During larger, longer duration winter weather events, Snow Command uses the list above to prioritize resources for clearing snow and ice. While some of these priorities may occur simultaneously, Snow Command first prioritizes clearing City streets before moving to parking lots and train station platforms, sidewalks, and other items on the list.
Learn more about Snow Operations and follow the Public Works Department on Facebook for updates on winter weather.
Contacting Snow Command
Snow related reports and requests can be made via the “Report a Problem” feature in the Lake Forest Now App. Snow command can be reached directly at (847) 810-3572.
Power outages may be possible due to the combined effects of blowing snow, high winds, and quickly dropping temperatures. To report a power outage, visit ComEd.com/outage, use the ComEd Mobile App, or call 1-800-EDISON1.
The following locations are available as warming centers during the storm event:
- East Train Station (701 N. McKinley Rd)
- West Train Station (911 Telegraph Rd)