Burr Oak Area Storm Sewer Improvement Project
Latest Construction Update
What’s Happening the Week of July 4
- Concrete restoration work to sidewalks and curbs will begin on July 5 along Burr Oak Road, Franklin Place, and Thomas Place.
- Phase 4 construction materials will continue to be delivered and staged along Alden Lane. Work on Alden Lane (Phase 4) will begin the week of July 11.
- Since work is progressing ahead of schedule, the schedule shifted slightly to ensure storm sewer work can continue while we wait for the StormTrap to arrive in late July. After Phase 4 work is complete, the StormTrap will be installed under N Western Avenue (Phase 3). Please find the updated schedule below.
Total project construction is expected to last approximately 5-6 months (weather permitting).
The project will help reduce flooding by increasing storm sewer capacity and installing an underground stormwater detention system called a StormTrap.
The Burr Oak Area Storm Sewer Improvement Project was identified as the highest priority stormwater improvement project in the City’s 2019 Storm Water Masterplan Update. The project is partially funded by a $2,750,000 grant from the Lake County Stormwater Management Commission (SMC) and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO). The project cost is estimated to be $5,361,515
View Project Phase and Detour Maps.
During construction, you can expect:
- Intermittent lane closures while storm sewer pipes are installed on N. Western Avenue and the alley south of 1339 N. Western Avenue (Phase 1), Thomas Place, Burr Oak Road and Franklin Place (Phase 2), and Alden Lane (Phase 4)
- A portion of N. Western Ave will be closed for around six weeks while the street is being excavated and the underground StormTrap is installed (Phase 3)
- General construction impacts, including increased noise, increased truck traffic, construction equipment, dust, etc.
- Various parking impacts – temporary parking spaces will be available throughout the project, as needed
- Working hours will be Monday-Friday from 7 am-7 pm and if needed, Saturday-Sunday from 8 am-6 pm
Our goal is to limit surprises and ensure neighbors are aware of construction activities. Check this page for the latest project information or grab a construction flyer from signs in the project area. To receive email or text/SMS alerts on the status of this project, register your contact information at www.cityoflakeforest.com/enotify.
The City hosted a Burr Oak Area Storm Sewer Improvement Project Open House on Thursday, April 14. If you're interested in learning more about the project, watch the project overview presentation. The presentation slides are similar to the materials shared at the Open House, so you can learn about the project even if you couldn't make the meeting.
Engineering Assistant Bernard Pondexter, 847.810.3556, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for electronic notifications
To receive email or text/SMS alerts on the status of this project, register your contact information at www.cityoflakeforest.com/enotify.